Wednesday, October 28, 2009

onlineliterature.com, I love you

On slow days at work, onlineliterature.com is a total lifesaver. I discovered the site when I was working on my reading list for my MA degree in English. When it was slow at my student job (anyone sensing the theme here?) I would go online and try and get some chapters read of the early 21st century novels I had to read. This summer, I read the entire Anne of Green Gables series in snippets. In hindsight, these books weren't the best at-work reads since I always cry when Matthew dies (never good to mist at work when you're trying to look busy!). I don't want to give the impression I don't work or that I don't like my job, because I do; however, sometimes a chapter of a good book makes the 30 minute lull between busy times feel more productive then say, facebook, a trap I'm all too easily drawn into.

My latest onlineliterature.com find was Crome Yellow (1921) by Aldous Huxley. I had a professor suggest this book to me a while ago, but never had time to read it. Now that I have, I've added some of Huxley's other novels to my ongoing reading list. Huxley seems like an author who would be fun to hang out with. He has a dry sense of humor and he really captures the awkardness in everyday life, especially the weird moments when characters are trying to be the most serious. Like a lot of other English novels from the 1920s, Crome Yellow is about the upperclass leisure lifestyle and Huxley presents a group of people vacationing together. I always leave these kind of books wishing I could vacation for months at a time, wear party clothes, and eat fabulous dinners. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the lottery, and bide my time until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment