Wednesday, December 21, 2011

2011 Book Round-Up

I was updating my Goodreads account the other day, and noticed the “stats” button. I’ve read 38 books this year, or 12,694 pages. Considering I was taking classes until May, I feel pretty good about how much I’ve read. In general, I’ve been on a YA kick, in part because I joined a YA book club and subsequently became addicted to the genre. What follows is a round-up of my favorite reads from this year.

Life Mask by Emma Donoghue
I love historical fiction, and after this book, I will read anything Donoghue writes, no questions asked.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
I was skeptical about this book when I started because it isn’t really a genre that I typically read. The book reads a little like a graphic novel or comic book, but without the pictures. Don’t judge me, but I feel cooler for having enjoyed this book.

A Widow’s Story by Joyce Carol Oates
This was a tear-jerker memoir (a new genre name I just invented). Sad, but sweet story about Oates moving on after her husband’s death.


Wither
by Lauren DeStefano
Dystopian fiction is a big thing in YA right now, and this book is a good example of that. It’s the future, and because of shoddy genetic engineering, girls only live to 16 and boys to 20. Craziness ensues.


Hunger Games Trilogy
by Suzanne Collins
Since reading these, I spend about 50% of my day trying to figure out if I have any survival skills whatsoever that would help me out in the arena. I don’t, so if any of the situations presented in these doom and gloom books actually happen, I’m probably screwed.


The Mistress of Nothing
by Kate Pullinger
This is another historical novel-based-on-reality about Egypt, the serving class, and forbidden love. I may have cried a little, but don’t let that deter you. I cry about everything.


Ashes by Ilsa Bick
Another survival/dystopian book dealing with the aftereffects of an Electromagnetic Pulse. I’ve actually read a couple books about EMPs recently, which makes me nervous that this could be a plausible scenario. I may need to dedicate 2012 to reading up on wilderness survival, canning, and farming techniques. You should too, just in case.

Does anyone have other favorite books from 2011? Any reading goals for 2012? Survival tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment