Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I'm a Lazy Blogger

It's been so long since I posted that I've had a hard time mustering up the motivation to write something. Last weekend, I finished a novel on my Kindle that I liked so much that I will not be taking it off my Kindle for a while. I think part of the reason that I liked this novel so much was that I downloaded it for FREE (nothing makes my miser heart go pitter-patter like a free book). I think it may have only been free for a promotional period, because I was looking on Amazon the other day and noticed that it is selling for $8 or $9 now.

Crossroads Cafe by Deborah Smith follows Thomas and Cathryn as they deal with events that have changed their lives. Cathryn is a movie star known for her good looks, but a car wreck leaves her with serious burn scars. Thomas is an alcoholic who tries to cope with some lingering guilt after his wife and son die on 9/11. The two of them are brought together by the Crossroads Cafe, a diner in the North Carolina mountains (I know, I know, my plot summaries suck).

Anyway, the book is a little romantic, but more focused on dealing with personal demons. The dialogue is funny and the relationships feel genuine. Let's just say it's a slightly fluffy book worth reading. Typically, I read books on my Kindle when I'm working out, and this book was good enough that my walking cool-down was stretching from five minutes to fifteen, just so I could finish one more chapter. I'll add that I never have the same problem putting down my textbooks. Maybe Deborah Smith should start writing about information organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment