Thursday, July 21, 2011

There went my Wednesday

Confession time: I really love the read and return books at Albany County Public Library. This rack of books calls my name, I'm telling you. On Wednesdays, I volunteer in the Wyoming Room, and it never fails that I end up taking a read and return book on my way out the door. I think it has something to do with product placement. And the fact that this rack tends to have more guilty pleasure type romances . . . and that I don't have to feel like the circulation staff are judging me. Anyway, last night I picked up this little gem:


Carrie Montgomery grew up in a wealthy family with seven older brothers who give her whatever she wants. Now, Carrie is used to getting what she wants, and when she sees a photo of Joshua Greene, she's instantly smitten (she says in love, but smitten seems slightly more realistic), and determined to land this guy. Joshua is looking for a mail-order wife who can help him with this two children and the farm. After some tricky finagling, Carrie arrives out west to meet her husband. Sparks fly! Tempers flare! Sexual tension ensues!

This book demands that the reader totally suspend any ideas of reality. But it's a romance, so what the heck, right? What I liked about Carrie is that she's rich and doesn't have any problem using her money. Rather than learning to wash dishes or cook, she just pays people to do it for her. It's kind of refreshing that the heroine doesn't have to change into a paragon of womanhood to snag her man.

This was a super quick read, but I did miss out on my Wednesday night because I got sucked in. I think I've read other Jude Deveraux books, and she's okay. This book is predictable, and falls back on some typical tropes, but it's entertaining.

Have you lost an evening to any fluffy books lately?

2 comments:

  1. We've got a bunch of romance books we'll be putting in the free bins soon. We've gotten SO many donations for the book sale that we're drowning in romances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jude Deveraux books sometimes get really weird, and she uses the "pay someone else to do it" a lot I've noticed, but they are nice easy reads!

    ReplyDelete