Friday, August 12, 2011

Generation Me

I just finished reading Generation Me by Jean Twenge, and seriously, it really laid out what's going on with my generation.


image via

From Goodreads: Called "The Entitlement Generation" or Gen Y, they are storming into schools, colleges, and businesses all over the country. In this provocative new book, headline-making psychologist and social commentator Dr. Jean Twenge explores why the young people she calls "Generation Me" -- those born in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s -- are tolerant, confident, open-minded, and ambitious but also cynical, depressed, lonely, and anxious."

I read this book as part of my self-imposed professional development reading program that hasn't been going quite as swimmingly as I had envisioned. I digress. Since I'm working with students, I thought it would be good to read some theoretical stuff on what makes this generation tick. I hadn't quite expected it to reveal the source of some of my own (very lovable) personality quirks, but it did, and my mind has been blown.

Let me start by saying this woman would be an AMAZING professor. She has this great tone throughout the book demonstrated in funny stories that really emphasize the points she makes. If all the books in my self-imposed professional development reading program were like this one, I would be making much better progress.

What I really took away from this book is that the self-esteem movement that has been pervasive in schools can be really detrimental to kids. Husband and I have been having this ongoing "spirited discussion" on this same topic: is college really necessary for everyone; what is the point of some degrees that don't lead to actual jobs; are we expecting too much success because we have degrees, etc. As a Generation Me-er, I have a hard time not believing that we can be anything we want to be, and that we deserve success. The other part of me wonders if I'm just trying to justify my degrees in English.

On a practical note, some of Twenge's points will help me to be a better adviser. I can help students manage their expectations and learn how to accept criticism while still encouraging them to work hard and aim high. I'm calling this the best of both worlds approach.

I was particularly interested to read about Twenge's theories on nationalized childcare. This is something I hadn't ever thought much about, but now I'm intrigued. Anyone have opinions on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment